Tuesday 14 February 2012

Herman update, day 6 and other cooking

Well, here he is.  In all honesty this could have been a photo from any of the past couple of days!


He's bubbling away nicely and I haven't yet killed him, despite the kitchen getting very cold overnight at this time of year.

In other news, tonight was all about cooking rather than baking.  I'm not sure yet just how many portions I've cooked but I've got 4 large saucepans cooling on my draining board at the minute before portioning it all out and putting most of it in the freezer.  Tonight's ingredient list looked roughly like this...



  • 600g mushrooms
  • 5 tins of chopped tomatoes
  • 2 red peppers
  • 1 green pepper
  • 1 yellow pepper
  • 3 carrots
  • 8 onions (Really?!?  I used 8 onions tonight?  Perhaps I did)
  • 2 tins of sweetcorn
  • 2 tins of tuna
  • 500g lean lamb mince
  • 1kg lean beef mince
  • 1 tin of kidney beans in chilli sauce.
  • 1/2 tube of tomato puree
  • 3 good squodges of garlic puree
  • 6 OXO cubes
  • several good shakes of mixed herbs
As a result, I now have loads of tuna & tomato pasta sauce (also goes well with a jacket potato); "spaghetti bolognaise" sauce (not even remotely authentic as far as I know but very tasty all the same); shepherd's pie filling (lean lamb mince doesn't make it go quite as thick as normal but normal isn't Slimming World-friendly - I may need to experiment) and, finally, chilli con carne.


(clockwise from bottom left - chilli con carne, shepherd's pie filling, spaghetti bolognaise, tuna and tomato sauce)

No comments:

Post a Comment